Frequently Asked Questions

The Basics

  • What types of car insurance does Qantas offer?

    Qantas Car Insurance has got you covered three ways:

    1. Comprehensive Car Insurance: Gives you peace of mind, knowing you are covered for loss or damage to your car due to an accident (even if you’re at fault), severe weather, vandalism and theft. As well for your liability for accidental damage your car causes to other people’s property - for example, their car or home. This insurance may be suitable for those who want a high level of protection.
    2. Third Party Property Only Car Insurance: Protects you for accidental damage your car causes to other people’s property for which you are liable - for example, their car or their home, up to $20 million. As this type of insurance does not cover damage to your car (unless it’s damaged in a no-fault accident with an uninsured driver, in which case your car has limited cover), it may be suitable for those who don’t need cover for their own vehicle but require protection for any liability they may incur as a result of an accident.
    3. Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Car Insurance: Offers you the same protection as Third Party Property Only Car Insurance, plus cover for damage to your car if it’s stolen or catches fire. This cover may be suitable for those who would like a little more peace of mind than Third Party Property Only Car Insurance offers.
  • What’s covered under Comprehensive car insurance?
    24/7 Claims
    New Car Replacement
    Whichever comes earlier, 2 years or 40,000km from original registration
    Towing Costs
    Reasonable costs
    Hire Car Following Theft
    Similar Car Hire up to $1,000 (limit 14 days)
    Hire Car Following a No Fault Accident
    Similar hire car (Unlimited, no day limit)
    Emergency Transport and Accommodation
    $200 a day including flights ($1,000 in total)
    Personal Effects
    Up to $750
    Repair guarantee
    On authorised repairs for as long as you own the car
    Replacement Keys
    Up to $1,500
    Damage to Caravan or Trailer
    Up to $1,000 (caravan and trailer)
    Damage or theft of Child Seats or Capsules
    Up to $750
    Liability cover
    Damage to Other People’s Property up to $20 million
    Death Benefit
    Essential Repairs
    Up to $500 to allow the car to be driven immediately after an accident.

    For a full list and details, please refer to the PDS

  • Which car insurance is compulsory to have?

    As the name suggests, Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance (also known as a Green Slip) is required before a vehicle can be registered and legally driven on the road. It covers your legal liability for any harm you cause to a person, this includes loved ones in the car with you, other drivers, their passengers as well as pedestrians.

    As CTP requirements vary from state to state, it’s important to check which apply to you. Click on the link below to find out:








  • What's the difference between Third Party Property and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance?

    Third Party Property Only car insurance is optional. It covers your legal liability for any damage your car causes to someone else’s property, for example, their car or home.

    Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance however, is just that - compulsory. It protects people - such as the driver of the other vehicle, a cyclist, or a pedestrian. It also protects loved ones in the car with you, other drivers and their passengers - who are injured in an accident that is your fault. Your CTP Insurance means they can access the medical treatment they need and, if they sustain serious injuries, the ongoing care and the support they need to recover.

  • Would Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Insurance cover attempted theft-related damage to my car or personal items stolen from my car?

    No, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Insurance does not cover damage as a result of the attempted theft of your car. It also doesn’t cover any personal items stolen from your car. If you are wanting this level of protection, Qantas Comprehensive Car Insurance may be suitable.

  • What is a car insurance excess?

    An excess is the amount you may have to pay when you make a claim on your car insurance. Depending on the circumstances of your claim, more than one excess may apply (see examples below). For example, you have a Basic Excess of $650 (and no other excesses apply) and your car is damaged in an accident, and the repairs end up costing $5,000, you only have to pay $650 - we would pay the rest.

    Excesses that may apply to your claim:

    • Basic Excess: paid out of your pocket when you make a non-recoverable claim. You may be able to reduce your Basic Excess or, for a lower premium, increase it.
    • Age or inexperienced driver excess: an additional excess for younger or less experienced drivers.
    • Unlisted driver excess: if you have to make a claim, but the driver wasn’t listed on your policy, you’ll have to pay an additional excess (over and above your Basic Excess). Note that, to be covered, household members must be listed on your policy.
  • When do I need to pay an excess?

    You need to pay an excess for each incident which is the subject of a claim, unless your car is involved in a no-fault accident with another vehicle. Some examples of when an excess needs to be paid include:

    • If you have a non-recoverable collision.
    • If your car has been stolen or catches fire.
    • If your car has been damaged by severe weather. For example, hail or damage caused by flying debris in high winds.
    • If your window glass has been cracked or smashed. Please note when you take out, or renew a policy we offer the option to reduce for your window glass excess to just $40.
    • If your car has been maliciously damaged.
  • When do I not need to pay an excess?

    You do not need to pay an excess if your car is involved in a no-fault accident with another vehicle and we decide that the driver of another vehicle (or person) was entirely at fault. This doesn’t apply however, when the at fault third party cannot be identified. For example, someone causes damage to your car while it is parked and they do not leave their details. In the event of an accident, it is important to make sure that you have the other party’s full name, residential address and vehicle registration number.

Making a claim

  • I’ve had an accident - what do I do now?

    The first step is to lodge your claim and then we’ll assess your car’s damage and then arrange for it to be repaired. Qantas Car Insurance has a network of over 150 repairers who can do this, as well as seven dedicated assessment centres across Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

    If we can’t find a repairer or assessment centre near you, you can take your car to a local repairer for a quote. Or, if you have selected the ‘Choice of Repairer’ option on your Comprehensive Insurance policy, you can take your car to your own repairer for assessment. Please refer to your PDS for further information.

    If your car isn’t driveable and you can’t get it to a repairer or assessor, don’t worry. Just give us a call on 13 49 60 and we can arrange for it to be towed to a safe location for assessment.

    It’s important to note that if you are a resident of Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula, Geelong or Adelaide, you are required by law to call an allocation centre or centralised operator who will arrange a tow on your behalf.

  • Once my car has been assessed, how do I move ahead with repairs?

    Once your car’s damage has been assessed, and we’ve given the go-ahead for repairs, the next step is for you to choose one of our partner repairers. If there isn’t one close to you, you can suggest a local repairer; or if you have chosen the ‘Choice of Repairer’ you may be able to nominate your preferred option.

    It’s important to remember, that even if you have the ‘Choice of Repairer’ option on your policy, with the exception of essential repairs needed to make your car driveable (up to $500), all repairs must first be authorised by us. You will need to provide us with the repairer’s quotation for the repairs so we can determine whether:

    • the quotation is competitive; and
    • the proposed repair method is satisfactory.

    If either of these criteria is not met, we may decide not to authorise the repairs and, instead:

    • have your car repaired by an alternative repairer chosen by us; or
    • pay you the reasonable cost to repair your car, as determined by us.
  • Does Qantas Insurance guarantee the repairs?

    Whichever way you choose to go - our partner repairer, or your choice of repairer (if you have chosen this policy option) - Qantas Car Insurance will back the workmanship of all authorised repairs for as long as you own the car.

    If your car is assessed by a local repairer or a repairer of your choice, we will need a repair-cost estimate and images of your car’s damage from them to decide whether we need to assess your car remotely, or if we need to send it to one of our own assessors. Don’t worry, we’ll take care of all this for you, we’ll contact the repairer directly to get everything we need.

    If we authorise your repairer they can go ahead, but if we don’t and you’d still like to use them, we can pay the amount we would have paid if our recommended repairer had completed the job. However, this will mean the repair guarantee we usually offer won’t apply.

  • My car is a write-off. What happens now?

    We understand that a total loss claim can be unexpected. So, rest assured we’ll help guide you along every step of the process. If we decide that your car is a write-off, i.e. it is a total loss, we will either:

    • pay you the amount your car is insured for (market or agreed value less any money you may still owe to a finance company); or
    • replace your car with a new one of the same make, model and specification if you purchased the car new or as a demo model and it becomes a total loss:

      within two years or 40,000km (whichever comes first) of the original registration (xxx Comprehensive Car Insurance); or

    As well, to help make the whole process as easy as possible for you, we’ll also arrange and pay for your written-off car to be towed away from the repair shop and disposed of.

Managing your policy

  • Managing your Qantas Car Insurance policy

    It’s easy to view and manage your Qantas Car Insurance policy details online via our Online Policy Manager. Here you can:

    • Update your contact details
    • Update your payment details
    • Renew or make payments
    • List drivers and/or specify driver age restrictions
    • Adjust your Excess (Basic)
    • Select optional extras
    • Make, track and manage a home or car claim
    • Print your Certificate of Currency

    Or you can call us on 13 49 60 from 9am - 7pm AEST Monday to Friday and 9am - 2pm AEST on Saturdays for all sales and service queries. We also offer 24/7 support for all claims enquiries. We’ll be happy to help.

  • I’m selling/trading in my car and buying another - can I transfer my insurance to my new car?

    Yes you can - and it’s easy to do. Call us on 13 49 60 and we’ll be happy to help, alternatively, you can go online and follow these easy steps:

    1. Log in to your Frequent Flyer account.
    2. View your car policy.
    3. Click or tap on the ‘Change’ button.
    4. Answer some questions about your new car.
    5. Select the policy options you want to add.
    6. View the details of your updated policy, including the new premium.
    7. Pay any additional premium that may be due.

    If you don’t intend to get another car, and want to cancel your policy, please call us on 13 49 60. You may be entitled to a refund of any unused premiums.

  • What is a ‘no-fault’ accident?

    A no-fault accident is one where:

    • we decide the driver of the other vehicle (or another person) was entirely at fault; and
    • you are able to provide us with the at-fault driver’s full name, address and vehicle registration.
  • How do I set up an online account?

    Whether you bought your car insurance policy online or over the phone, setting up an online account is simple. When you purchased your policy, you either provided your existing QFF membership number or joined QFF and received your new membership number.

    Using these details, you can login online and manage your policy. All you need to do is either:

    • Go to or
    • Select login on the Qantas Insurance website and select car insurance from the menu

    If you are unable to login using your details, please give us a call on 13 49 60.

  • What changes can I make to my car insurance?

    You are able to make the following changes to your policy:

    • Contact details
    • Payment preferences
    • Listed drivers
    • Driver-age restrictions
    • Kilometres driven per year
    • Optional extras
    • Excess (Basic)
    • Car details (e.g. modifications)
    • Driving history and claims

    To make any changes, simply log in to your online account, or contact us.

    Please note: You can reduce your Glass Excess only when you purchase, renew or transfer your policy. It cannot be reduced mid-term.

Get a quote

Ready to see how many Qantas Points you could earn?

Speak to a specialist

13 49 60

Monday to Friday 9am - 7pm